BLOOD ORANGE PASTE

This is so easy to make and yummy to boot. I love a fruit paste with my cheese as it adds a totally different dimension to the taste of it. Normally I would make a Fig or Quince paste and have even made my own Persimmon paste but never thought of using oranges until I saw some at our local supermarket. I have such a glut of Blood Oranges, so I thought what a perfect time to try this out and it turned out beautifully..


A lot of you have asked for the recipe so here it is, this is from Tiffin Bite Sized Food Adventures and you can find her Blog at  www.tiffinbitesized.com.au she has amazing info on food and travel and some awesome recipes..
Now I quadrupled this recipe so it would give me a few jars and 2 slabs but it is up to you. It lasts a long time in the fridge if kept wrapped but it doesn't seem to in my house as the kids put it on toast..

WHATS IN IT

250g            Whole Blood oranges, scrubbed in hot water
250g             Blood orange juice
300g             White sugar
500ml           Water    


WHAT TO DO      

Chop whole oranges roughly (skin, pith and seeds as well) and put in a heavy based saucepan with the orange juice.
Simmer for 1 hour until the skins are soft. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Turn off heat and let cool for a while as you need to process it and if its still really hot the pressure can build up and the steam will be hot and spit. So I leave it off the heat for about 15mins and then process until all the oranges are pureed.
Return to the pan and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for a few hours or until it has thickened up slightly, stirring occasionally. I always do the cold plate test as it is the best way to know the consistency (If your not sure of the cold plate test check out notes at the bottom..)
When you are happy with the consistency pour into sterilised jars or moulds. Rubber cupcake moulds are the best as they are the right size and are easy to get out once set.
These are what I use for my cheese board and I put the rest in jars for a spreadable delight.


Notes: Put a saucer into the freezer before starting recipe so when its time to test the saucer is very cold. To test spoon a little jam or paste onto the centre of the plate and push your finger up the middle. If it stays separated its ready if its seeps back into the centre I would cook at 5min intervals testing in between.

Comments

Popular Posts