BLACK COBRA CHILLI


Back in November I posted about my various chillies I had planted out and what I was going to do with them in the New Year. Well they came early this year, with a handful of my gorgeously smoking hot Black Cobra's. I made a chilli jam last year with my Rocoto and it was way to hot for me but luckily I have plenty of friends who are willing to take it off my hands.

I was thinking of making a relish with this lot as I could hopefully make it a little sweeter but everyone wanted a Chilli jam. Soooo, sometime spent in the kitchen modifying my old recipe and voila, here it is. Its sweet and gives you a good old after punch but not too much to drop you to your knees.

BLACK COBRA CHILLI JAM

WHAT'S IN IT

3                  Green chilli, chopped
3                  Red chilli, chopped
10                Cobra chilli, chopped
2                  Red capsicum (Pepper), deseeded and roughly chopped
5cm             Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 bulb       Australian organic garlic (8 cloves)
1 tin             Diced tomatoes
750g            Raw caster sugar
250ml          Malt vinegar
  
*This recipe only makes 750ml, which is three little jars.  Make sure to double or triple if you want more it will      still work fine, just more time..

WHAT TO DO

1.     Put the peppers, chillies(with seeds), garlic and ginger into a whizzer and whizz it to a fine consistency .



















 2.     Put into a heavy based pan ( this is so it does not catch on the bottom) with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.



3.     Bring to the boil and skim off any scum that rises to the surface (otherwise it will be on the top of jam in the jar) and reduce heat to a simmer for about 25mins stirring occasionally. While you wait put a saucer into the freezer so we can test jam.



 4.     When the jam seems to be sticking to the back of your wooden spoon take plate out of freezer and test by placing a little in the centre and push with your finger to separate. If it stays apart it is ready if not simmer for another 5-10 minutes and check again but make sure you stir consistently so as not to let it catch on the bottom and burn.

5.     Pour slowly into sterilised jars (be careful because it may splatter, I have had some in my eye once and it bloody hurts). The jars I used here are Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni Anfora Preserving Jar  but any Ball Mason Jar will do. Put lids on and leave to cool completely. This will last in a cupboard for around 5 months but I have had some last a lot longer, make sure you refrigerate once opened..




Comments

Popular Posts