LIMES


Limes are the best fruit to have in any orchard! I have five lime trees in mine, Thaitian, Australian , Finger and Kaffir Lime. I use mine all differently as they all have different flavours believe it or not.

My Tahitian lime is used for everything, it is the one I go to for my dressings, cakes, curds and beer, The Australian lime is a lot sweeter and has quite an unusual flavour so I use that in my Brulee's and for fish, Kaffir I use the leaves in my Thai cooking and I do juice the fruit and use the zest and my Finger limes are used on my Sashimi dishes, dressings and in my G & T's.

Tahitian Lime

My Australian and Finger limes fruit all year round so I always have loads but my Tahitian, unfortunately only fruit about twice a year if I'm lucky, hence why I have two trees. I freeze a heap so I have them for my cooking and I juice the other load to have for my dressings and vinaigrette's. My favourite dressing is a Nuoc Cham, which is a Vietnamese salad dressing. I have made this a thousand times and it never tastes the same which is what I love about it, You can change the way it tastes by adding more or less of what you prefer. And the other is a Lime vinaigrette which I make for green salads or a marinade for chicken and prawns, you can use either limes for these dressings and it is always fun to add some of the Finger lime for that added burst, Literally!

Finger lime

NUOC CHAM

Whats in it:

60ml            Mirin
60ml            Fish sauce
2tblsp          Palm sugar
2tblsp          Ginger, grated
125ml          Water
2tblsp           Lime juice
1                  Red chilli, chopped
1clove         garlic, crushed

What to do:

Put Mirin, fish sauce, sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
Remove from heat and let cool. Then add lime juice, chilli, ginger and garlic and stir to combine.
That's it!
I have been known to just add all ingredients into a jar and shake until sugar has dissolved and use and I must say it is hard to tell the difference, So I guess it depends on what time you have.

Australian lime

LIME VINAIGRETTE

Whats in it:

60ml          Freshly squeezed lime juice
2tblsp        Seeded mustard
2tblsp        Honey
2tblsp        Grape seed oil
2cloves      Garlic, crushed


What to do:

Just put all ingredients in a jar and shake until blended together. Voila!

Comments

Popular Posts