JALAPENOS....

My Jalapenos are ready to harvest and I have great plans for them. My husband loves them and are a definite staple on our table for Mexican nights. I was always buying them from the supermarket and thought it was silly considering I grow them in the garden and they just didn't taste as good as your own. My recipe  is simple and takes less than 5 minutes to make plus you can eat them straight away even though I keep mine for 1 week in the fridge before use just so they are a little softer and not as crunchy.
I use equal parts water and vinegar, so for a 500ml preserve jar I used 1/2cup water and 1/2cup vinegar. I also love my spices so I use them overly in this, I have plenty of fresh herbs on the garden and thyme and rosemary look so pretty,  I also used a tablespoon of each..

Cardamom Pods (smashed)
Juniper berries (cos they are amazing)
White peppercorns
Mustard seeds
Cloves

That's it, so easy and yummy!!
Jalapeno
Grow them with lots of space as they need a lot of air circulation and I stake mine when they are laden with fruit, just to help them not break there branches

I used red and green jalapenos this time as it makes a great colour combo and my Mason Jars are perfect for this kind of thing.

 I fill just below the rim so when you put the liquid in it will not overflow and cover all the Jalapenos completely.


Its easy to remember the ratio of water and vinegar 1:1. You can add a tsp of sugar also at this time if you would like it a little sweeter but I never do..

Pour in the liquid and make sure that the jalapenos are covered completely, then pop the lid on and refrigerate.
Voila




Comments

Popular Posts